ERA Travel Exchange
ERA runs an annual travel exchange program for Australian PhD/Professional Doctorate candidates who:
- have been enrolled in a PhD/PD program at an Australian university for at least one year full-time (two years part-time) or have completed such a program within the last year;
- are conducting research that is ageing-related;
- intend to remain in the field of ageing research in Australia post-PhD/PD.
Thanks to the support of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR), the ERA initiative is able to make available funding for one international and two national exchanges every year. Funding amounts will be provided up to AU$5,000 for each national exchange and AU$10,000 for the international exchange. Applicants are encouraged to apply for additional funding from their home universities and preference will be given to applicants who have been awarded such funding.
An 'exchange' means that a successful applicant will spend six weeks or longer working at a university other than their own, under the supervision of an academic expert in their field. The work undertaken during the exchange must be strongly related to issues affecting older adults living in Australia. Before applying for the exchange funding, applicants must:
- develop a collaborative research program and identify a suitable research mentor at an appropriate Australian or international research institution to collaborate with;
- contact and gain provisional approval in writing from the proposed academic mentor regarding the proposed research collaboration and being hosted by the institution for the term of the exchange.
To stay informed about the exchange and to be the first to know when the application process opens, please register as an ERA member here.
Read about the past travel exchange winners here.